Food & Drink
Burgundy, home to Coq au vin, Boeuf Bourgignon and to world famous, local wines such as Mercurey, Beaujolais and Nuits St Georges. This region is truly a gastronomic paradise.
During your stay you may wish to visit cheese manufacturers, master chocolateers, honey and bread producers or any number of working farms.
At Les Cerisiers you are encouraged to help yourself to fruit from our hedgerow and extensive orchard, bake your own bread using the traditional wood burning bread oven and sample the delights from the organic kitchen garden.
Buffet lunches and evening meals (where provided) are taken around the table in the kitchen or, weather permitting, in the orchard. On a fine evening, light the barbeque and cook out of doors. Our food is home grown, home made or locally sourced and you are invited to attend a local wine tasting at the house during your stay.
Recipe for Boeuf Bourgignon (serves 6)
- 4 lbs beef (2kg) (just ask or look for 'Bourgignon' on the meat counter)
- 6 oz (150g) lardons (cubed bacon)
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb (400g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bottle red burgundy wine (I use a young Beaujolais)
- 8oz (225ml) of beef bouillon (beef stock)
- 1ounce (25g) flour
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1ounce (25g) butter
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 18 shallots
- Salt and black pepper
- sauté lardons in the oil in a heavy pan for a couple of minutes. Remove the lardons.
- Using the same saucepan, cook the beef until browned. Remove the beef.
- add the onion, carrots and celery to the pan and cook for 2/3 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Mix the butter and the flour to make a paste. Gently heat these in the pan and gradually add the wine and beef stock stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add the beef, vegetables and lardons into the pan, season to taste.
- Add the shallots, onion, garlic and herbs and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 3 hours on a low heat. When the meat is tender, remove from heat.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter and add to the Boeuf Bourguignon. Garnish with parsley.
Boeuf Bourguignon is traditionally served with boiled potatoes and red wine.